15 January 2009

Newbury Yarns, 164 Newbury St, Boston, MA

Christmas night, I left for Boston and was there for a week. While being back in the US and not having been to a good yarn shop in a really long time, I decided to check out the LYS in Boston. There were a few shops in Boston, but two were close to the Sheraton Hotel that I was staying at (34 Dalton). Newbury street is a really cute street with a gorgeous facade and while I was there, I went to Newbury Yarns. I had asked for the sweater patterns, but didn't find any in the binder or the magazines. On the table, however, there was this beautiful fair aisle sweater and I asked the owner if she had the pattern. The lady said no, she made the pattern up, but it came from Elizabeth Zimmerman's Book, The Opinionated Knitter. I was up for the challenge, so I bought the book, and yarn for the sweater. The yarn company is Briggs and Little, which is out of New Brunswick, Canada and is the oldest woollen mill in Canada. Regal was the yarn I purchased, which is a 2 Ply 100% pure wool and I got 4 skeins of Plum, 1 skein of (Sage, Black, Bleached White, Rose, and Blue BW). This type of pattern is new to me, but I am ready to increase my knitting horizons/skills. I would say that I am a pretty good knitter, but this may be a challenge, which is all right.

In addition to the sweater pattern, I found some sock yarn that I really liked: Jojoland Melody Superwash (color MS12), which is 100% wool and has 220 yards. I bought two of this color and didn't know what sock pattern to make, but after looking in Charlene Schurch's Sensational Knitted Socks book, I think that I may make the Open Rib Six-Stitch Pattern (p.48).

No comments: