14 January 2009

Let's Start With Something That I've Started



I have tons of yarn to showcase, but let's start with something that I have started. This yarn is not new to the lot, but it is a new project. After doing the U-neck Vest, I still had leftover Cascade 220 (approximately 1.75 skeins) and decided to make a scarf. Note: Knitted on size 8 circular needles. I had a tough time deciding on a pattern because there are many lovely scarf patterns out there, except I needed something that wasn't going to be so hard because I was taking it to Europe with me (I went to Germany, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Austria, Hungary, and Poland where I resided during this past semester). I didn't want something too simple, but I wanted something with lovely cables to show off the possibilities this yarn has with texture. In the end, I chose the Irish Hiking Scarf, but the pattern was modified to add in a 4th cable, instead of the original 3 cables (modified pattern below). On the plane, I only had the cast on and I didn't work on the scarf until about a month into my trip. During my trip, I did get a lot done, but didn't finish the scarf as I would have liked. I guess, why would I - I was in Europe for 4 months. I mostly worked on the project when the "lovely group" that I was with went off on lovely drinking excursions where they got hammered (this happened a lot - the getting hammered all of the time). I did not enjoy the group that I was with, but fortunately enough I had a great roommate even though we did not hang out. I did make some friends who are still in Poland and I have to finish their postcards before my winter break ends. I am pleased with how it is looking thus far, but I am putting it aside and am going to work on something else for a bit.

The thing is, I work on a project for so long and then it's time for a change, I need to start or finish something else that I've started previously. It's like I have knitting ADD. I guess, as I have stated previously, I like to change things up for a bit (maybe that's why I have so many unfinished projects...humm, I wonder - ha). On the other hand, if this was the only project you had available to you for 4 months, wouldn't you want to change things up too?

Modified Irish Scarf Pattern:

Row 1: K2, P2, K2, P6, K2, P2, K2, P6, K2, P2, K2, P6, K2, P2, K2, P6, K2, P2, K2
Row 2: K4, P2, K6, P2, K2, P2, K6, P2, K2, P2, K6, P2, K2, P2, K6, P2, K4
Row 8: K4, P2, C6F, P2, K2, P2, C6F, P2, K2, P2, C6F, P2, K2, P2, C6F, P2, K4

No comments: