12 September 2009

Felted Slippers


During my days at good ol' Platteville, I had started and nearly finished the Felted Slippers that I had received for my birthday. I just forgot to post about them. Originally, I thought that I ran out of the Pesto yarn for the sole part, so I left the slippers at home and put them in the sewing room closet. Now that I took them out and looked at them again, it doesn't look like I needed to put them away until I got more yarn. I will have to look at them again tomorrow though when I am less tired. Both slippers look exactly the same and I don't know why I thought that I needed to knit another sole (four soles are knit - two per slipper for extra support); we shall see though. If that is the case, they will just go into the washing machine tomorrow with a pair of jeans specifically for felting.

The slippers were really easy to knit up, although it is one of those patterns unfortunately where you have to pay attention. I tried watching a movie while knitting these up and it didn't work out so well the first time around, then I had to frog a great deal of it out. On my "scrap" copy pattern, I highlighted what I needed to follow and that made things a whole lot easier. I have this thing where I don't like to write/highlight on the original patterns, so I have to make copies of them if I need to write on them.

I would like to find, however suede for the bottom. Obviously, they sell stuff online for these slippers, but $20 is a bit much, especially since my mother is looking for suede for the bottom of her slippers too. Instead, our goal is to find an old suede jacket at a Goodwill store or something and use that. Hopefully we can find one for a fraction of the price. At my apartment in the quad-cities and at home, I usually traipse around in one of my glorious Birkenstocks, but during the winter it gets colder, so I have to put on socks. It will be nice to actually have some warm slippers instead of the Birks.

I will have to update later as to whether my project will still have to go back into the closet or if I can put it in the washing machine.

Yarn: Cascade 220 Heathers 0980 (Wisteria) and Cascade 220 9345 (Pesto)
Pattern: Felted Clogs from Fiber Trends
Needles: Size 13 16" and 29"

No comments: